The Chicago Magazine recently selected Dr. Liao, director of CVRL, as one of Chicago’s top doctors. Honorees of the selection were nominated by physicians based upon factors such as clinical excellence, bedside manner, education, and research. Other doctors from the section of cardiology at the University of Chicago include Michael H. Davidson, MD, and Mathew Sorrentino, MD.

You can also take a look inside Dr. Liao’s medicine cabinet in the issue (above):

1. Centrum Silver Men’s Multivitamin

“I’m not sure I eat a great balanced diet, because, with my work, I sometimes end up missing meals. So I want to make sure I get the right daily recommended vitamins.”

2. Vaseline

“In the wintertime, I get cracked skin on my thumb. It’s sometimes very painful when it gets very dry. I also have lotion, but Vaseline works better.”

3. Joico Clinicure Stimulating Scalp Treat for Natural Hair

His coiffure doesn’t require reinforcement, but he tried this on the recommendation of a colleague. “I only used it a couple of times. It’s to keep your hair so it doesn’t get messed up, but it’s also supposed to thicken it. I don’t think it does.”

Not pictured: Statin

“Cholesterol is one of the areas I research, and recent studies suggest you don’t have to have high cholesterol to benefit from a statin.” The pills also reduce heart risks in those, like Liao, with a family history. (His brother, also a physician, just had bypass surgery.)